A massive but plain brick structure, Walkerton was built in 1825 as a tavern in Henrico County, serving travelers along Mountain Road, once a major artery between Richmond and the western Piedmont. Stagecoaches stopped here regularly before the Civil War; as late as 1908 a large carriage shed and stable accommodating twenty horses stood in the backyard. The building takes its name from John Walker, who undertook the construction of the present building and died just as it was completed. The property was acquired in 1828 by John B. White, a licensed tavern keeper. The swinging, hinged partition on the second floor is a feature frequently found in early taverns. When opened it created a large room for dancing and receptions. The tavern’s last private owner, S. Douglas Fleet, undertook an extensive restoration of the building in the 1980s. The Walkerton property is now owned by Henrico County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark