For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/01/2004
NRHP Listing Date 02/02/2005
NRHP Reference Number 04001592
Bristol’s Douglass School traces its origins to a one-story 1896 brick building called “The Colored School.” In 1911 the name was changed to Douglass School for Negro Students, in honor of Frederick Douglass. Then in 1921, a new site for the school was selected near downtown Bristol, and the current Douglass School was erected, with later additions made in 1929 and 1963. The property is historically significant for having solely provided for the education of Bristol’s African American students prior to public school integration in 1966.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 4, 2021