The inventiveness and keen aesthetic sense of America’s Greek Revival architects and master builders is displayed in Salem’s Presbyterian Church. Its designer has not been identified; however, much of the woodwork likely was executed by Gustavus Sedon, a skillful Roanoke Valley carver and master carpenter. Many of the classical details show a reliance on popular pattern books of the period such as those by Asher Benjamin and Owen Biddle. Organized in Salem in 1831, the Presbyterians outgrew their first church and began construction of the present building in 1851. The church tower was originally topped by a spire; the present octagonal lantern dates from 1928. The Salem Presbyterian Church is located in the Salem Downtown Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark