Recent research has shown that the Orange County homestead of Hare Forest Farm, formerly believed to have been built ca. 1812 for Dr. Francis Dade, was actually erected for John S. Terrill in 1833-40. The dwelling employs a Federal vernacular idiom consistent with several other architecturally conservative buildings in the county including Bloomfield (ca. 1840), Holladay House (ca. 1830), and the Sparks Brothers building (ca. 1829). The plain, single-pile structure has an asymmetrical Flemish-bond brick façade, here given a touch of style with its flared stuccoed lintels and raised keystones. The interior preserves simple Federal woodwork. Today the house at Hare Forest Farm, with later additions, sits amid handsome landscaped grounds, the centerpiece of a fastidiously maintained horse farm.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark