Moor Green was erected ca. 1800-1810 for Howson Hooe, and is one of an interesting collection of architecturally restrained two-story, five-bay plantation houses built in Prince William County in the Federal period. In 1820 it was taxed at $4,000, a relatively high valuation for a dwelling at that time. In addition to its handsome brickwork and sophisticated but simple interior woodwork, the house is distinguished by its banded American-bond side and rear walls and its flounder-roofed rear ell, part of the original construction. The molded brick cornice is also a detail common to the area’s Federal-style houses. Although its farmlands have been developed, Moor Green maintains a protected setting overlooking handsome landscaped grounds.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark