For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/21/1980
NRHP Listing Date 06/28/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82004606
Built in 1879-80 for Alexander St. Clair, a Tazewell County banker and farmer, this robust, finely appointed dwelling is a documented work of local builder Thomas M. Hawkins, who was responsible for the construction of approximately twenty-five houses in the area. The modified Italianate dwelling, the only known brick house built by Hawkins, illustrates the introduction of stylish catalog-ordered wood trim into traditional house forms in the state’s southwestern arm. The marbleized interior woodwork is signed by Frank T. Wall and O. T. Jones, skilled local artisans and painters. Surviving on the Alexander St. Clair House property are several early outbuildings erected to serve the main house. Across the road is a horse stable constructed with logs from the original farm residence.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 29, 2022