Standing aloof from the bustle of the surrounding restaurants and shops of Richmond’s Shockoe Valley, Masons’ Hall is the oldest Masonic hall in continuous use in the country, being completed in 1787. Edmund Randolph and John Marshall belonged to what was originally Lodge No. 13, and the marquis de Lafayette was made an honorary member when he visited the hall in 1824. The late Georgian building, capped by a jaunty cupola, was remodeled in the mid-19th-century, when much of its exterior trim was replaced by Greek Revival work. However, the remarkable interior, decked out in Masonic paraphernalia on all three floors, retains much original fabric of interest. The building is now the home of Richmond Randolph Lodge No. 19.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia