Located in the Town of Appomattox, the Carver-Price School comprises a one-story, brick Rosenwald school constructed c. 1930, with substantial additions in 1951 and 1964, as well as several secondary resources. Built with minimal traditional stylistic references, the c. 1930 building is a three-teacher-plan building with a side-gable roof, a central recessed entrance with front-gable porch, and banks of five contiguous six-over-six sash windows. Historic interior finishes include narrow beaded matchboard wainscots, stacked-panel doors, and built-in wooden cupboards. The 1951 Modernist lateral addition is two-stories with brick veneer over concrete block, a flat roof, and a centered recessed entry. Begun as the Appomattox County Training School for African American children in 1919, Carver-Price School served the local African American population throughout the segregation era and the Civil Rights Movement. The expansion of Carver-Price High School in 1951 and 1964, both significant events, cemented its importance for African American students in Appomattox County and neighboring Prince Edward County, which closed its public schools for five years in response to desegregation efforts. When Appomattox County began integrating its schools in 1970, the Carver-Price High School became the Appomattox Intermediate School and later Appomattox Elementary School. Although added onto over the years, the c. 1930 building retains the character-defining features that distinguish it as a Rosenwald Fund standardized plan. The fund began in 1912 as a collaboration between Booker T. Washington, head of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, and Julius Rosenwald, an Illinois businessman and philanthropist, for the construction of rural schools for African Americans.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark