Embedded in the Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest, the Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center was originally created to house Works Progress Administration workers in 1937. The WPA workers built the adjacent Holliday Lake State Park, including the lake itself, and planted trees in the then-depleted surrounding farmland. In 1941 the 4-H Club acquired the camp under a 99-year lease with the state. Today the Appomattox County camp’s WPA-era historic buildings include a mess hall, 15 cabins, a store and clinic, a main office, and from the 1950s a pavilion and amphitheater. [Note: Camp Holiday is spelled with one L, the lake/state park with two.]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark