The Keysville Historic District is located in the northeastern corner of Charlotte County, in the rural central piedmont region of Virginia. Geographically, the district encompasses a significant portion of the small town of Keysville and is accessible by both major roads and rails. These transportation routes have always played a significant role in the development of the town. Keysville was first established as a small postal village with a tavern along the stagecoach line in the early 19th century, and expanded with the coming of the railroad in 1853. It was incorporated as a town in 1887 and really blossomed over the next 40 years. Commercial resources tend to cluster near the center of the Keysville Historic District around the intersection of King Street, Railroad Avenue, and the railroad. This is near the location of the old depot that used to welcome arriving visitors to town. Residential resources tend to be located towards the edges of the historic district. Road improvements of the 1930s and the rise of the automobile spelled the eventual end of passenger rail travel through Keysville and the last passenger train stopped at the Keysville Depot in 1956. But Keysville continued to be a central commercial destination in the midst of a heavily agricultural area, and its location on major roadways ensured its continued survival and evolution.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark