Located within a now-privately owned 1.1-acre parcel in the northwest corner of Fishburn Park, the hewn-log and timber-frame Keeper’s Cottage is a singular survival in the Roanoke Valley for its type and construction and is possibly the oldest extant building in the City of Roanoke. The first parts of the dwelling, two adjoining hewn-log pens, were likely built circa 1820, with a heavy timber-frame addition made to the west prior to 1850. The dwelling’s three-part construction makes it an exceptionally rare specimen in Southwest Virginia, where both hewn-log construction and braced timber framing were once commonplace, but not often combined within a single building. The building was in community use from 1926 to the 1990s as the Fishburn Park “keeper’s” or caretaker’s cottage.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark