For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/18/2021
NRHP Listing Date 05/13/2021
NRHP Reference Number MP100006520
Situated near the intersection of thoroughfares N. Glebe Road and Arlington Boulevard (Route 50) in Arlington County, Windsor Apartments were constructed in 1944. Consisting of four red brick buildings, the apartments exemplify the multi-family garden apartment complexes that arose between 1934 and 1954 in Arlington as a response to the critical need for moderately priced housing for a growing population in the greater Washington D.C. area. That need began in the 1930s with the influx of people who found work in a burgeoning federal government under the New Deal and the government’s subsequent expansion as the U.S. prepared for World War II. Built during World War II, the Windsor complex provided housing for some of the thousands of wartime military and federal government workers, among other people, who settled in the county. Similar to other garden apartments in Arlington, Windsor Apartments incorporated the standards of forward-thinking planners and housing reformers in the Federal Housing Authority who promoted the benefits of modern, efficient interior floor plans that incorporated sufficient natural lighting and ventilation. A core design concept eliminated apartment corridors, offering immediate access to individual units through entry foyers. Additionally, the Windsor Apartment buildings were sited within a courtyard setting, enhanced by landscaped green space, parking areas, and pedestrian walkways. Master architect George T. Santmyers, one of the most prolific architects working in the greater D.C. area during the period, designed Windsor Apartments in the popular Colonial Revival style.
Listed under the Garden Apartments, Apartment Houses and Apartment Complexes in Arlington County, Virginia MPD.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 18, 2021