Also known as Miller’s Mill, the Warm Springs Mill is the only remaining early gristmill in Bath County. A settlement with a mill has existed at this famous thermal spring since colonial times. The original mill here was observed by pioneer explorer Simon Kenton in 1771. The present mill (located in the Warm Springs and West Warm Springs Historic District), is a replacement of a 19th-century mill, and was erected following H. H. Miller’s purchase of the property in 1901. The mill is typical of commercial gristmills of its period—a three-story, gable-roofed frame structure with an overshot Fitz waterwheel. The mill ceased operation in 1971 and was subsequently converted into a restaurant. The adjacent blacksmith shop and hardware store, part of the mill complex, were remodeled for retail use and lodging. Nearly all of the mill’s machinery is intact.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark