This native American archaeological site consists of an irregularly shaped overhang approximately ninety feet by ten feet. The shelter is formed within the Oriskany sandstone formation and lies along the west bank of the Jackson River about twenty feet above the normal river flow. The shelter area contains the stratified remains of human occupation from the Late Archaic (3000 B.C.) through the Late Woodland periods (A.D. 1600). The wide variety of projectile points and ceramic types found here reflects subtle shifts in several cultures through time. The excellent state of the preservation of the site’s floral remains, including cultigens and faunal materials, offers an excellent opportunity to study western Virginia subsistence patterns spanning the last 2000 to 3000 years.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark