The Ashwood School, constructed in 1909, is located in the community of Ashwood, just north of Healing Springs and south of Hot Springs in Bath County. The school is locally significant as an early example of a school built in a rural area during a period of progressive educational reform and consolidation, as well as Jim Crow segregation. In 1965, the school was racially integrated, which represented a massive shift in local public education practices in Bath County. The Ashwood School’s desegregation was associated with the larger movement to desegregate public education at all levels. In 1935, landscaping improvements by the Civilian Conservation Corps resulted in construction of one contributing structure to the Ashwood School grounds: a stone wall with pillars.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark