For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/14/2005
NRHP Listing Date 11/30/2005
NRHP Reference Number 05001345
The Bellevue Rural Historic District is named for the district’s original 1,200-acre estate and historic two-story brick home (listed individually in the National Register in 1990). Bellevue later housed Bellevue School between 1866 and 1909, a renowned private academy for boys started by James P. Holcombe, a member of the Confederate Congress and of Jefferson Davis’s cabinet. The academy provided classical learning and catered to the students of well-to-do families from all over the nation, especially the South. In addition to Bellevue, the district contains a former school for the resident children of Brook Hill Farm circa 1904 (listed individually in the National Register in 1997). Brook Hill is one of the district’s well-preserved farms that are typically linked together by open fields and a narrow, tree-lined road. Collectively the farms in the district reflect the agricultural history of the region. Also contained within the district are Trivium, a crossroads’ tavern that dates to 1832; Glenn Mary Farm, established 1939 (pictured above); many outbuildings—including a blacksmith shop, icehouse, smokehouse, and a log-building—and houses featuring a variety of architectural styles including Federal, Victorian, Georgian, and Craftsman-Bungalow, all within a one-mile radius.
Additional documentation was approved by the National Park Service in 2020 correcting information regarding the architect of the main house at Glenn Mary Farm.
[NRHP Approved: 11/27/2020]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated December 1, 2020