Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

009-5466 Quarles-Walker House

Quarles-Walker House
Photo credit: Dan Pezzoni, 2021

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/09/2021

Built around 1839 in Bedford County, the Quarles-Walker House is richly detailed in a vernacular version of the Neoclassical style. The two-story timber-framed house was built for the Quarles family, headed by Nancy Quarles and her son John Winston Quarles. The interior is finished with tripartite Neoclassical mantels that employ reeding for various decorative effects and reeded chair rails. Peg rails, a stair with scrolled tread brackets, a barred foundation vent, and decorative painting are other notable features. Next to the house stands a small frame milk house, built about 1940 when then-owner Robert Parker Walker operated the property as the Evergreen Dairy. The milk house reflects aspects of the era’s approved practice for dairy facility construction. The property’s period of significance extends from ca. 1839 (when land tax records and architectural evidence suggests the house was completed) to around 1940 when the milk house was constructed.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: December 9, 2021