The Wolf Creek Bridge, in Bland County, was erected circa 1912 for the New River, Holston and Western Railroad. The bridge is important for its engineering (as a Pratt through-truss structure) and its cylindrical steel columns, a patented feature of the Phoenix Bridge Co. An unusually old example to have survived with integrity of design, the Wolf Creek Bridge was converted for vehicular traffic in 1946. It continued to serve as a key link in the regional transportation network until 1987, when it was retired from service.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark