Blue Ridge Hall, located on a nine-acre parcel in Botetourt County, is important for its commercial history as an antebellum ordinary and stagecoach stop then known as the Blue Ridge Hotel. A Federal-style, two-story, central-passage frame dwelling, Blue Ridge Hall was built about 1836 at the intersection of a regional turnpike and the Great Road, which was the main north-south artery of the Valley of Virginia. The house, which retains well-preserved mantels and other Federal-style architectural details, was built for politician George W. Wilson and was afterward owned by Congressman Nathaniel H. Claiborne. From 1849 to 1890, businessman and farmer, Samuel Obenshain, owned the property. Around 1940 a rear wing was constructed on Blue Ridge Hall and in the late 1950s, a Colonial Revival-style porch with square wood columns was added to the front.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark