This boldly scaled house, located on the southern edge of the courthouse town of Buckingham in Buckingham County, was completed in 1860 for William M. Swoope. With its tall proportions and generous moldings, Woodside is a freely interpreted expression of the Greek Revival, exhibiting little influence from the popular architectural pattern books of the day. The façade is given articulation with use of a pedimented central pavilion and with the flanking bay windows. The floor plan is a synthesis of a Palladian tripartite composition and a Georgian center-passage plan. Much of the interior woodwork survives, including pine floors and molded baseboards in every room. All of the mantels are believed to be original except for the marble parlor mantel, which, according to legend, may have come from the White House. From 1871 to 1873, Woodside was the home of Nicholas F. Bocock, a prominent local lawyer, and remained Bocock-family property until 1882.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark