This wooden mansion, on the southeast bank of the Rappahannock River in Caroline County, is one of the nation’s outstanding examples of the Italian Villa style, and was designed by Norris G. Starkweather of Baltimore for William Carter Pratt. Camden was built on the site of an earlier Pratt house and was completed in 1859. Technologically as well as architecturally advanced, Camden was equipped with the latest conveniences including central heating, gas lighting, running water in each bedroom, inside toilets, and a shower bath. An elaborate tower was destroyed by a Union gunboat in 1863. Preserved inside are original furnishings, carpeting, and curtains, as well as Starkweather’s architectural drawings. Located on the river’s edge, the house served a large plantation still owned by the Pratt family. Also on the Camden property is a contact period Indian archaeological site which yielded two English silver medals inscribed “The King of the Machotick” and “The King of Patomeck.”
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark