Located in the southern part of Fauquier County, the Silver Hill Baptist Church and School is sited on the east side of Silver Hill Road (Route 615). Associated with the church building are a school and a cemetery. The Silver Hill community is a historic African American enclave established during Reconstruction by Thomas Hannibal Coles, a formerly enslaved man who operated a blacksmith shop and lived with wife, Ellen, in Silver Hill. In 1876, Coles purchased thirty-three acres from the roughly 350-acre “Silver Hill” tract owned by the heirs of Hannah Blackwell. The fact that the Silver Hill Baptist Church and School have survived over a hundred years of hardship is indicative of the continued strength of the community and their ideals as it pertains to education, religion, and ethnic identity. The Silver Hill Baptist Church and School property has been listed in the Virginia Landmark Register under the African American Resources in Fauquier County Multiple Property Documentation (MPD) form.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark