Old Stone Church, situated in the Green Springs vicinity of northern Frederick County, was originally constructed in 1820, but was rebuilt after a fire damaged the building in 1838. The rectangular, gable-roofed, stone building is the oldest Lutheran church and the second oldest stone church surviving in Frederick County. Used primarily as a meetinghouse for German Lutherans in the area, the church was also used as a school; a wooden partition still divides the interior into two spaces. The building’s simple interior with its high wooden pulpit, columns with attached candleholders, and wooden pews is extraordinarily well preserved and the building has never been electrified or plumbed. A cemetery to the east of the church contains grave markers of early settlers to the area. Owned by the Old Stone Church Memorial Association, the church and grounds are still used regularly and impeccably maintained.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark