Ingleside sits outside of the town of Ridgeway, six miles from the North Carolina line. The two-story, three-bay, center-passage-plan frame house stands on a prominence between Mica Road, historically the main road out of Martinsville, and Marrowbone Creek, a tributary of the Smith River. The circa 1880 house presents a distinctive character of its hybrid Greek Revival-Gothic Revival styling and its spirited, decorative interior painting. Believed to have been built for the Penn family, the house was acquired by the Sheffields in 1886 and served as a residence for their descendants.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark