Built in 1917, in conjunction with the town of Fieldale and its mills, the Marshall Field and Company Clubhouse collectively brought an immediate million dollars into the local economy and provided hundreds of jobs in Henry County. In addition, Marshall Field & Company brought electricity and modern plumbing to an area lacking them previously. The construction of nearby Fieldale Mills also prompted creation of the first maintained roads in the area and continued to provide jobs and boost the area’s economy for several decades. Before the establishment of the lodge, there had been no acceptable accommodations in the area to house important visitors to the mill. Upper echelon employees and executives enjoyed recreation at the lodge, while also deciding important business deals there. The Henry County clubhouse is notable for the architectural merits of its design, which relies on a mix of local natural building materials to create a deft and appealing interpretation of the Tudor Revival style.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark