The Fieldale Historic District, located on the Smith River in Henry County, incorporates a company mill town established in 1916 by Marshall Field & Company to produce towels for the Marshall Field’s Department Store. Situated on a 1,800-acre tract of land, the town had a stable infrastructure by 1930, with industrial mills that operated from 1919 to 2003, residential housing, and social and commercial institutions — all originally company owned — to serve employees. The district’s workers’ houses are modest, one-story structures. Initially, unmarried female workers were housed in the multiple dwelling known as Virginia Home; unmarried males stayed in the Fieldale Hotel. The district is remarkably intact and representative of similar company towns established during the early 20th century, when work and social life were inextricably entwined.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia