046-0024

St. Luke’s Church

VLR Listing Date

09/09/1969

NRHP Listing Date

10/15/1966

NHL Listing Date

10/09/1960
1960-10-09

NRHP Reference Number

66000838
DHR's Board of Historic Resources easement

This venerable house of worship in Isle of Wight County, originally known as Newport Parish Church, is America’s purest expression of authentic Gothic architecture. Although simple in design, the buttressed walls, lancet side windows, and traceried east window of St. Luke’s Church have for more than three centuries formed one of the New World’s most direct links with the architecture of the Middle Ages. The construction date is controversial. Most likely it was built with its tower near the end of the 17th century, when the colonists began to undertake more substantial architectural works. St. Luke’s fell into disrepair after the disestablishment and was more or less ruinous for most of the 19th century. A series of repairs, begun in 1894, culminated in a thorough and meticulous restoration completed in 1957. No longer a parish church, St. Luke’s Church is an official historic shrine of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

046-5052

Nike-Ajax Missile Launch Site N-75

Isle of Wight (County)

046-0005

Isle of Wight County Courthouse Complex

Isle of Wight (County)

003-5085

Covered Bridges NHL Context Study (MPD)

(MPD) Multiple Property Document