053-0071

Clapham’s Ferry

VLR Listing Date

03/19/1997

NRHP Listing Date

09/04/1997

NRHP Reference Number

97001076

Located in the Catoctin Rural Historic District of northern Loudoun County, Clapham’s Ferry has been the site of a Potomac River ferry crossing since 1757 when the General Assembly awarded Josias Clapham permission to operate a public ferry here offering access to Maryland. The property was owned by the Clapham family until 1820 when they sold it to William Hawling. The ferry operated until around the Civil War. Archaeological features of ferry-related structures likely remain at river’s edge. The existing stone dwelling, presently encased in later extensions, was probably built in the early 19th century during the latter Clapham or Hawling tenure. It apparently served as the residence of the ferry operator as well as the nucleus of a farm operation. Adjacent are a log meat house and a log kitchen. Nearby is a bank barn, one of the county’s largest. The barn is a 1930s rebuilding of an earlier one struck by lightning.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

053-6509

Philomont Historic District

Loudoun (County)

253-5117

Union Street School

Loudoun (County)

053-6487

Snickersville Turnpike

Loudoun (County)