The Goose Creek Stone Bridge is the longest remaining stone turnpike bridge in Virginia. The exact construction date of the massive, four-span, 212-foot-long structure has not been determined, but it may have been built as early as 1801-03. The Loudoun County bridge accommodated the extension of the Ashby’s Gap Turnpike from the then western end of the Little River Turnpike at Aldie through Ashby’s Gap to the Shenandoah River. The earliest documented reference appears in the 1820 report of the Board of Public Works, which mentions the collecting of tolls on the Goose Creek Bridge. The bridge was the scene of Civil War action between Gen. J. E. B. Stuart and Union forces under Gen. Alfred Pleasonton. Bypassed by the realignment of U.S. Route 50 in 1957, the bridge was given to the Fauquier and Loudoun Garden Club in 1975 which has since maintained it.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark