The Quaker ethic of simplicity is evident in the original section of the much-expanded house at Sunnyside Farm. This core, a three-bay, hall/parlor dwelling constructed of local fieldstone, is characteristic of the Federal vernacular favored by these diligent and peaceful farmers. Isaac Nichols, son of Quaker settlers who migrated from Philadelphia, apparently had the house built ca. 1815 for his son William. William died before inheriting the Loudoun County property, thus it passed to his son William, Jr., who added the stone outbuildings in the 1820s. William Nichols, Jr. moved to Ohio in 1836 following a daughter who married outside of the Friends meeting. A frame addition was erected ca. 1855-60 by the McCray family. The original section acquired a projecting bay ca. 1890 which was remodeled ca. 1910. Other additions have made this once simple house on Sunnyside Farm an interesting amalgamation of vernacular forms.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark