Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

053-0305 Goose Creek Meetinghouses

Goose Creek Meetinghouses
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 01/15/1974

NRHP Listing Date 07/24/1974

NPS property number 74002135

This group of three buildings in the village of Lincoln illustrates the continuity of the Quaker tradition in Northern Virginia. The 1765 stone meetinghouse, now a residence, is the state’s second oldest Friends’ meetinghouse. Its successor, an 1817 brick structure across the road, remains in regular use by its meeting. This latter building originally had two stories, but following windstorm damage in 1944 so damage, it was rebuilt as a one-story building. On the meetinghouse grounds is the Oak Dale School, an 1815 one room brick structure, now used for First Day school. Also nearby is the Quaker burying ground. The Goose Creek Meeting was organized ca. 1750 under the leadership of Jacob Janney of Bucks County, Pa. The group first met in a log building erected at the place in the woods where Janney’s wife, Hannah, held regular private devotions.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018