Arcola Elementary School in southeastern Loudoun County was constructed in 1939 as part of the New Deal’s Public Works Administration building campaign under President Franklin Roosevelt’s administration. During the era of segregation, the school was the county’s first elementary school for white students that offered individual classrooms for each grade. Marking a shift in the county away from one-room schools with limited curricula, the multi-room school had space to support an expanded grade-based curriculum. In 1951 and 1956, additional classroom wings were added to the school. At the time of its listing, the site retained its original five-acre tract of open space.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark