Myrtle Hall is an unusually large and well-preserved circa 1813 brick Federal-style plantation house, with a later library addition constructed with elements of the Greek Revival style. The dwelling has a two-story main block with a smaller two-story service wing and an early one-story kitchen addition. The original design and appearance and much of the original materials of the main house’s exterior and interior remain undisturbed. The purchase of an 800-acre property by Mordecai Throckmorton from Thomas A. Brooks in 1813, and the subsequent construction of the large brick plantation house marked the beginning of his 25-year tenure operating one of the largest slave-labor based plantations in Loudoun County. Today, the house is set roughly in the center of a 40-acre farm at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains surrounded by its historic agricultural fields and pastures. While the farm is greatly diminished from its original size, the remaining acres retain the original agricultural character with open landscape and uncluttered views. The property contains several agricultural outbuildings and the Throckmorton family cemetery.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark