Paeonian Springs Historic District, about four miles west of Leesburg and at the base of the Catoctin Mountain, encompasses nearly three dozen structures that date mostly from between 1900 and 1910. Paeonian Springs, established by entrepreneurs who marketed its “healthful” spring waters, was conveniently located on the Washington and Ohio Railroad, which connected the area with metropolitan Washington, D.C., thus offering an ideal opportunity to establish a village for affluent families desiring to escape D.C.’s humid summers. The railroad also made possible shipment of bottled spring water to D.C.’s increasingly health-conscious residents. The community thrived for about 30 years, after which time strict federal regulations for bottled water, as well as the advent of the automobile, reduced the village’s commercial activities and residential popularity. Although the train station is gone and the rail line has been converted to a bike trail, many of the structures from the village’s heyday survive, including grand mansions, simple bungalows, two hotels or boardinghouses, some commercial stores, an early 20th-century school building, a water bottling plant, and a public springhouse.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia
Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved | Website by CURE