Home Farm is a well-preserved farmhouse, which has evolved over several periods of construction. Originally a two-story, L-shaped, log-and-stone “patent house,” it was built in the mid-18th-century in fulfillment of the Land Patent granted by Lord Fairfax to ensure settlement of this area of Virginia. It was probably built by Quaker businessman and surveyor John Hough, a contemporary of George Washington, but it would see several changes over the next 100 years. In 1810, George Nixon, another Quaker, added a two-story fieldstone section on the north end of the log house; in 1830, owner Peter Cost built a two-story frame section; and in 1930, owner Milton Robinson built another frame addition to house a kitchen. Its numerous changes have created a uniquely evolved building that demonstrates several methods of construction and represents the historical circumstances of the various construction periods. The original log and stone section is one of very few houses in Loudoun County still remaining from the Land Patent period. Now only on eight acres, the property also contains 19th- and 20th-century outbuildings, and its historic setting.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark