Wilton, in Middlesex County, was completed in 1763 by Col. William Churchill, clerk of the county court for nearly three decades. This finely crafted structure is one of Tidewater Virginia’s most sophisticated colonial plantation houses. Wilton’s notable features include its T-plan, Flemish-bond brickwork, Georgian stair, paneled woodwork, and gambrel roof. The parlor paneling, with its chimneypiece framed by fluted pilasters on pedestals, is some of the finest in the state. The brickwork in the gables indicates the house was intended to have A-shaped gables, but the original roof framing suggests that the roof shape was changed during construction. Also, the recent discovery that the front section originally had a staircase lends credence to the tradition that Wilton is the result of evolution. The rear wing has had a gambrel roof since inception with its end hipped rather than gabled.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark