Three Chimneys, constructed around 1795 for Major James Woods, is one of the earliest extant brick houses in Nelson County, and an excellent example of a late-Georgian style dwelling. It features an unusual floor plan, and one of the most elaborate chimney pieces in the area. The property, located in the South Rockfish Valley Rural Historic District, also has several outbuildings including an original kitchen constructed of brick. In 1915, new owners of Three Chimneys added Classical Revival features to the house, resulting in a finely-blended architectural hybrid.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark