For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 03000567
Lovingston High School Building was built in 1931 to serve grades one through eleven. The Virginia State Board of Education’s School Building Service provided local school boards with plans and specifications for new buildings. The Lovingston building, a handsome brick structure with Classical Revival details, is similar to three others in the county built from plans drawn by architect C. H. Hinnant of Lynchburg. It originally contained 12 classrooms, toilets, a mechanical room, and an auditorium with a stage. Additional classrooms were added in 1945, and a kitchen in 1951. In 1955, the last class graduated, and grades seven and eight were relocated in 1968. The elementary school remained in the building until 1995. It is being rehabilitated for use as a community center, which will bring Nelson County Parks and Recreation programs together with other social services.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018