Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

063-0105 Olivet Presbyterian Church

Olivet Presbyterian Church
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 07/19/1977

NRHP Listing Date 01/26/1978

NPS property number 78003034

Tucked deep in the New Kent woods, Olivet Church shows the effectiveness of the Greek Revival style in its most elementary form. The otherwise spartan wooden church is in a temple form and is fronted by a simple Doric portico. Its unchanged interior preserves doors and pews decorated with their original mahogany and bird’s eye maple graining. The pulpit is set off by marbleized steps. Presbyterians came to New Kent County in the mid-18th century. By 1800 a congregation was meeting in the colonial St. Peter’s Church, which by then had been abandoned by the Episcopalians. In 1857 they decided to erect their own church nearby, calling it Mount Olivet and later merely Olivet. The congregation relocated in Providence Forge in 1934, but preserves Olivet for annual memorial services.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018