For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/16/2022
NRHP Listing Date 08/29/2022
NRHP Reference Number SG100008083
The Gosney Store, located at a rural crossroads in Pittsylvania County about six miles east of Danville, started out ca. 1898 as a one-room frame schoolhouse in a different location. Known as Union School, the building was moved to its current location ca. 1923 and modified into a commercial general merchandise store building, where it served the local tobacco-farming community for about sixty years. Horace E. Gosney operated the store from ca. 1935 until his death in 1969. Edward J. Morris then relocated from Sears in Danville and operated the general store until its closing in 1984. Integral to the daily economic life and welfare of the surrounding rural community, the Gosney Store sold most items a family might need on a daily basis, and for a time, included a barbershop and a recreational pool table. The storekeeper served as both counter clerk and filling station attendant in this general store, which had full-service Esso gas lanes.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: September 6, 2022