VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NHL Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


The influence of English interpretations of the villa designs of Andrea Palladio is handsomely demonstrated in Brandon, one of America’s most admired works of colonial architecture. Plate III of Robert Morris’s Select Architecture (1755), an English pattern book of Palladian-style designs, provided the direct inspiration for the distinctive seven-part composition. The original patent was issued to John Martin in 1616. The property name of Brandon is believed to derive from the family name of Martin’s wife. The house was built in Prince George County ca. 1765 by Nathaniel Harrison II as a wedding present for his son Benjamin. The first stories of Brandon’s terminal wings are earlier structures and were enlarged to fit the novel scheme. The hall was remodeled in the early-19th-century, when the present arcade and stair were installed. Brandon remained in the Harrison family until 1926 when it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Daniel, who carefully restored the house and its formal gardens.

Last Updated: December 13, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

1974 NHL Nomination


Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Historic District and National Cemetery

(NHLs) Virginia's National Historic Landmarks


Covered Bridges NHL Context Study (MPD)

(MPD) Multiple Property Document


Church of the Sacred Heart Parish

Prince George (County)