Although the Mount Salem Baptist congregation in Rappahannock County was organized in 1824, the present meetinghouse was not begun until March 1850. The Mount Salem Baptist Meeting House congregation, which included both Whites and African Americans on its first membership list, flourished for many years, remaining active until World War II. The remotely located house of worship survives unaltered from its original state, exhibiting mid-19th-century Virginia’s penchant for plainness in country church architecture. The stuccoed exterior is in a simplified Federal style, and the few details of the interior show the influence of Greek Revival pattern books. Its construction was supervised by Henry Miller, a local builder. The meetinghouse closed in 1942 but was restored in 1977. Revived regular services at the Mount Salem Baptist Meeting House ceased in 1989, although the church continues to be maintained by its trustees.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia