This late 18th-century log farmhouse is one of Shenandoah County’s best representatives of the Continental-type central-chimney dwellings built by the area’s German-speaking settlers. The Germanic tradition is evident in the hillside setting, with the original four-room or Kreuzhaus plan log section built over a strong spring. This log section also features complex roof framing. An 1824 stone wing and the remains of a springhouse/kitchen add to the picture of early German-American life in the Shenandoah Valley. The exact construction date of the original section is unknown, although it is likely that the house was built by Lawrence Snapp ca. 1750, when he arrived in the Valley from Pennsylvania. The Snapp House has been carefully restored in recent years.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark