For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 01001568
Abraham Beydler House, constructed around 1800 by German immigrant and Mennonite Abraham Beydler, reflects the Federal style of architecture prevalent in the Shenandoah Valley during the Early National period. Situated on a rise of land near the North Fork of the Shenandoah River, it is a two-story, Flemish-bond brick dwelling with a prominent brick ell added around 1850, doubling the size of the house. Molded brick cornices across the front and rear elevations and flared brick jack arches over the windows and doors are typical features of a well-to-do farmer’s house of the period. The house’s fine interior woodwork is also well preserved. A one-and-a-half-story brick smokehouse/summer kitchen on a high basement is adjacent to the house and is unusual for its Flemish-bond brickwork. Today the property is known as Valhalla Farm.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018