For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/18/2021
Located on one of the Seven Bends of the Shenandoah River in Shenandoah County, the present-day Burner-Gearing Farm property has been in continuous agricultural use since the mid-1700s. Jonas Burner (1781-1852) acquired the property in the early 1800s, and the Gearing family owned it during the 20th century. The property retains a number of notable historic structures associated with the farm’s development during the 19th and 20th centuries as well as the site of a now-vanished 18th-century dwelling. The farm’s primary historic resource is the 1925 Gearing Barn, a structure of pole-construction employing logs for its principal posts. The pole-construction method for building barns anticipates its more general use in Shenandoah County later in the mid-20th century. The Gearing Barn has a ground barn rather than bank barn form; the latter style is more typical of the historic barns found in the county. The property also contains the Burner Cemetery, which features Jonas Burner’s ornate, classically influenced tombstone. The stone is signed by Irish-born stonecutter John Fagan and was carved by Fagan or a stonecutter in his Winchester workshop, the pioneering marble yard in the Valley of Virginia.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: April 12, 2021