The gracefully proportioned Federal farmhouse of Spring Grove was erected in 1834 for Robert Murphy, a post-Revolutionary newcomer to the Northern Neck. It is one of a small group of formal brick residences built in the region in the early 19th century and reflects the local prosperity in its size and refinements. A distinctive exterior feature is the academically detailed dwarf Ionic portico sheltering the entrance. Inside, the principal rooms are set off by woodwork and decorative plasterwork derived from pattern books by Boston architect Asher Benjamin. William Rogers, a later owner, thoroughly recorded the house in the 1870s with a set of drawings that remain in the possession of the owners of Spring Grove. The drawings are a rare instance of pictorial documentation of the period. Spring Grove survives with few alterations and enjoys a rural setting on the high, flat ground above Nomini Creek in Westmoreland County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark