The site of George Washington’s birthplace is a tract on Pope’s Creek, just off the Potomac River in Westmoreland County, purchased in 1718 by Washington’s father, Augustine. Born on February 22, 1732, Washington spent only his first three years here but returned at age eleven to study surveying with his half-brother Augustine, Jr., who inherited the property. The original Washington home burned on Christmas day, 1779. Its site was excavated in 1930 and 1936, revealing the foundations of a U-shaped timber-frame house. The present brick dwelling, the Memorial House, erected in 1930-31, reflects a typical medium-size planter’s house of the period. First known as Pope’s Creek plantation, the George Washington Birthplace National Monument property was renamed Wakefield in the early 19th century. It was acquired by the Wakefield National Memorial Association in 1923, which transferred it to the National Park Service in 1932.
[Nomination Accepted, NRHP: 12/18/2013]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark