For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/20/1981
NRHP Listing Date 10/21/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82001797
The Anderson Brothers Building is the largest, and one of only two buildings, with a metal-clad façade remaining in Charlottesville. It is the most monumental building on the University Corner, and has at its core one of the first commercial buildings erected there when the area began to be a center for student-oriented businesses. The building is listed in the registers as a part of the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area, both individually and as a part of the Rugby Road-University Corner Historic District.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the City’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760’s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the City’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The Anderson Brothers Building was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated November 20, 2018