For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 05/17/1983
NRHP Listing Date 03/01/1984
NRHP Reference Number 84003534
The Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg, located in the Fredericksburg Historic District, ranks with the finest surviving examples of Jeffersonian Roman Revival in the Commonwealth. Built in 1833, the building is dominated by a Tuscan portico in antis and a handsomely detailed belfry with an entablature in the Doric order of the Baths of Diocletian. Although its architect is unknown, the church has a striking similarity in design to the works of master builders William B. Phillips and Malcolm B. Crawford, two of the most able practitioners of Jefferson’s style. The building survives little changed from its original appearance, even preserving many early interior features. During the Civil War the church served as a hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers, and it was here that Clara Barton came to nurse the Union wounded after the battle of Fredericksburg in 1862.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 6, 2022