For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/19/2019
Once part of a larger farm property and located today in Fredericksburg, Sligo, a two-story, five-bay, L-shaped Italianate dwelling, was built during 1888–1889 to replace a prior circa-1750s residence that had burned. It is one of only a few high-style Italianate dwellings in the City of Fredericksburg. It’s distinctive exterior and interior design, in addition to its L-shape, features tall windows, hipped roof with ornamental cornice, paneled stair hall, and double parlors with tall, six-panel pocket doors. While some alterations have been made to the house since its construction, the building’s historic fabric remains intact. At the time of its listing in the registers in 2019, the house’s owners were rehabilitating the residence with the goal of removing later 20th-century materials to restore the house to its historic appearance.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated September 19, 2019